05 January

A new study has shown that some cancers are down to just a bad chance rather than genetic mutations.

Dr. Bert Vogelstein and Cristian Tomasetti, PhD, publish their findings in the journal Science. Researchers claim 65% of cancer cases are a result of random DNA mutations, while the remaining 35% can be explained by a combination of these mutations and environmental and hereditary factors. [1]

However, the researchers are not denying that lifestyle does not affect the chance of some cancers. Smoking, drinking and poor diet can still progress to the disease.

Cancer research still heavily believe in warning against the remaining third chances, such as; sun exposure, being overweight, etc. We must still take care of ourselves to avoid damaging our cells even further, despite the possibilities of still simply receiving some bad luck.

The researchers explained how this ‘bad luck’ can occur:

Old tired cells in the body are constantly being replaced with new ones made by dividing stem cells. But with each division comes the risk of a dangerous mutation that moves the stem cell one step closer to being cancerous…[Researcher’s] concluded that two thirds of cancer types were “due to bad luck” from dividing stem cells picking up mutations that could not be prevented. [2]

This again would really be down to everyone’s individual body clocks. Unfortunately this cannot be measured or controlled. The body works to protect you, but in some unfortunate cases this can backfire on the body.

Due to this problem, researches suggested we should not primarily focus on the prevention of cancer – for only a third would be monitored this way. But we should start a process of how we manage early detection of the disease, in a state that is curable.
We must not diminish, nor forget those new ambitions to stay healthy. Nor should we feel disheartened, but another reminder perhaps, to live sensibly, and on the odd occasion, it really is ok to indulge ourselves.

But what are your thoughts on this new study? We want to know your thoughts.

[1] Whiteman, H. (2015). Two thirds of cancer cases down to ‘bad luck,’ new study claims. Medical News Today. Available at: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/287542.php

[2] BBC News, (2015). Most cancer types ‘just bad luck’. Available at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30641833

Register with us today for our latest roles

Here at Primary Care Professionals we understand that your days are busy so finding the time to search for that new role can be tough. Register with us today with your details along with your CV and we do the leg work of searching for your perfect role so you don’t have to. When we find the latest jobs that are tailored to you we will send you the details direct, putting you forward for only the best roles.

Register Now

Got some questions you want to discuss?

We have a dedicated team on the phones to answer any questions or just talk through what your looking for if you prefer a more personal touch. Arrange a call back from one of our knowledgeable team members and we will get you into your new role as soon as possible.

This field is required
This field is required
This field is required

Be kept in the know of our latest jobs.

We know your time is precious and checking latest job boards regularly can quickly fall down the priority list. How about you let us do all the leg work and send you all our latest roles from across the country directly into your inbox on a monthly basis. Its as easy as registering your name and email address and we take care of the rest. Register today with nothing to lose and the perfect new role to gain.

This field is required
This field is required
This field is required

Register for jobs now…

Please fill out the form before with your Name, Email and Telephone number along with your CV and we will personally search our database and send you our latest jobs that are tailored for you. So we do all the leg work.

×